Are Your Water Bottles or Cosmetics Messing With Your Hormones?
You wouldn’t think so right? But in fact the answer is yes, many of your daily products contain ingredients that fall under the category of ‘endocrine disruptors’. Endocrine disruptors are exogenous (‘external’) agents that interfere with your hormones. Your hormones are chemical messengers that communicate with the rest of your body, instructing necessary changes to take place (eg: to calm down after a stressful episode has passed). If these messages are interfered with, you can be looking at a confusing game of Chinese whispers causing a bunch of unwanted symptoms.
So where can these endocrine disruptors be found?
Endocrine disruptors can be found in many common household products including food, skin care, makeup, shampoo, conditioner, body wash, toys, chemicals, deodorants and water bottles… The list just goes on!
Go to your bathroom cupboard and pick out your every day products, including face / body wash, toothpaste, moisturiser, deodorant, hair care, cosmetics, etc. Look at the ingredient list and see if any of your products contain these;
Bisphenol A (BPA):
- Despite improved labelling due to public outrage over its use, the supermarket shelves are still loaded with BPA items. It’s common in all kinds of hard and soft plastic including plastic bottles, baby pacifiers and toys, the inside lining of some canned foods, the coating on receipts you get in stores, recycled plastics, dental sealants and in the water, dust and air.
Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS):
- A known carcinogen – ie: a cancer causing chemical! It’s allowed in products in tiny amounts, but the concern is that many people use loads of products that contain this, leaving their body to deal wth a chemical cocktail of sorts.
- A class of chemicals used to make household and commercial goods less flammable such as fabrics, plastics, surface coatings, furniture and baby products. It’s a good idea to wash clothes before use, especially so for little ones, to help decrease exposure. They can simply be run through with water to help decrease exposure.
- Used as a preservative in personal care products, such as deodorants, creams and shampoos.
- Chemicals found in scented personal care and household products such as perfumes, nail polish, household cleaners, carpeting and in plastics. Phthalates are known as ‘the everywhere chemical’ because they are exactly that! Just think of the smell of the supermarket aisle where all the household cleaning products are kept! Despite what we’re sold, ‘clean’ doesn’t actually have such a smell!
The above is just a small list of endocrine disruptors! It really pays dividends to your long term health, and that of the planet to switch to chemical free products for you and your home. Something many people don’t realise, is that absorbing and ingesting all of these chemicals over time can lead to excess weight. Over time these chemicals can build up in our bodies, and get stored in our fat tissues, leading to excess weight gain along with an inability to lose weight. Our Naturopath can help you with detoxing and weight loss related to this, so feel free to call to make an appointment on 1300 157 213 or book online.
Here are some simple ways to reduce the amount of endocrine disruptors!
- Ditch the plastic water bottles, grab yourself a stainless steel or glass water bottle instead! Not only is it absent of any endocrine disruptors but it’s environmentally friendly!
- Read your product labels; avoid products containing parabens, Sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS), phthalates, plyethylene glycol (PEGS), synthetic colours and synthetic fragrances. You will find these ingredients in skin care, body care, cosmetics and common household products.
- Take care of your thyroid, liver and skin. These are your first line of defence against endocrine disruptors. They take the brunt of the overload. Our Naturopath can help you with this area.
- Swap out harmful cosmetics & household cleaners for low-tax options!
At Salutary we stock, sell and use only low-tox skin care and cleaning / household products! Visit us in store to check out our range!