Are you sick of feeling sick? Do you shudder when someone coughs nearby because you know you’re going to get sick? Do you often complete a course of antibiotics to treat an infection, only for it to return a month later? You are not alone…. and it’s likely your immunity needs attention!
Factors including stress, a lack of regular exercise, inadequate sleep, and poor nutrition can all play a role in lowering your immunity. Frequent antibiotic use, which often goes hand in hand with repeated infections, can also contribute to this by damaging your delicate gut bacteria, compromising your immunity further.
Strengthen your immunity
Some lifestyle tips to keep you strong throughout this winter include:
1. Rest! You may be surprised by how effective your immune system can be when you give it a chance. Ensure you get a good night’s sleep and let your body work its magic.
2. Eat plenty of fresh vegetables and fruits. These foods contain immune supportive vitamins and minerals including vitamin C and zinc.
3. Go for garlic and ginger. Garlic is a broad-spectrum antimicrobial agent and an immune booster. Ginger helps to warm you up and fends off illness by reducing inflammation.
4. Drink plenty of water. It is essential that you keep hydrated.
5. Unwind. While it may be difficult to reduce stress in your life, it is possible to manage stress more effectively. Participate in yoga, meditation, even some deep breathing in bed each morning and night.
Keep Your Immune Game Strong
A great way to ward off infection is by ensuring you have sufficient stores of key nutrients to support immune health, such as:
Vitamin C – sources include red and yellow capsicum, citrus fruits (especially oranges), kiwi fruit, strawberries, Brussels sprouts, broccoli, and even the humble tomato.
Zinc – at the initial signs of a viral or bacterial infection, zinc deploys infection-fighting white blood cells to destroy it. Food sources of zinc include seafood, meat, wheat germ, spinach, seeds (e.g. pumpkin, sesame), nuts (especially cashews), and beans (e.g. chickpeas, adzuki).
There are also plenty of herbs and other supplements, including probiotics, that we stock at Saltuary to boost your immunity.
Embrace A Life Of Wellness!
If recurrent infections are an issue for you, contact us today about boosting your immune system, so that you can get well and stay well. Our Naturopath, Chiropractor or Acupuncturist can all help to design a plan to get you well and truly back to feeling amazing. Our salt rooms and infrared saunas are wonderful for immune health too.
Kick sickness to the kerb, break the antibiotic cycle and enjoy a life of health, happiness and vitality!